Saturday 9 November 2013

Wow, what a busy month ! Mileage 166500

Sorry I've not blogged for a while, I've been a tad busy!
I recently got in touch with an ace welder, who kindly offered to re attach my drivers side A Post toi the sill. Not an easy task I can assure you, especially when the base of the a post, together with the sill and floor in the immediate area are also completely rotten.
In order to make a good job, we collectively decided to strip back the sodden carpets and soundproofing in the footwell, and go searching for some solid steel. We did find some , but it wasn't easy ! Before welding commenced, the affected areas were sprayed with some magic potion to make welding easier! It turned the remaining surface rust a much darker shade, and easier to weld to.
Dan; a farrier by trade, did an excellent job of reforming the bottom of the A Post, and fabricating a new sill section. Then a plethora of small patches were welded in to cover all the remaining little "vents". This was followed by a liberal coating of Zinc based primer. The soundproofing was removed and carpets re fitted.

Job done. If you need someone in Kent, Dans' the man !

Next up was shopping time! I have been acquiring bolt ons for the disco, and it was time to start attaching them ! I nipped to see my mate Andy, picked up my snorkel and steering guard that he had saved for me from the now retired "Wallet".

First job of the day was fitting the snorkel. Its a genuine Safari item, but being second-hand came without a template. We soon mashed one up and got busy with the tools. Didn't takre long to wreck the wing !

The end result looked a whole lot better. Tiger seal made up the gap between air filter housing and snorkel, and is now good to go. 


As the light faded, I managed to get the light bar fixed into place, CB aerial mounted, and lights bolted into position. I think its starting to look real good. Just need to get the wiring done now!

Work is coming along nicely on my new hand fabricated front bumper, but due to technical difficulties I can't upload any pics.

I had another minor problem last Friday evening with a loss of power steering efficiency. This manifested in a leak on one of the pipes from steering box to Power steering pump. Thanks then to Des at Pegasus Garage in Rainham, Kent for supply a used part which got me out of a hole. I fitted this in the rain on Tuesday morning before work. Oh the joys of ownership.....

Talking of the joys, I decided today to change the oil in my Transfer Box. Well, it wasn't raining when i started !!!! A job well worth doing never the less. When I had drained all the mucky gloop I topped up with nice fresh EP90. Purely by luck, I noticed while under the car that all the grease nipples on the props were not only in line, but accessible too. Thats a job for tomorrow when the rain has stopped ! 

So there you have it, loads done, and loads more to do.

Love my Landy, Honest !!!!

TTFN.





No comments:

Post a Comment